Sunday, April 6, 2008

THE Harlot in Manhatten



We arrived at Borders in the Time Warner Center @ 5:15. We bought books, and went to check out the venue area before getting a bite - the event started at 7. Well the first thing I thought was, "these Borders people have no idea what they are getting themselves into!" There was a relatively small space and most of the seats were already full! So we sat and chatted awhile, and I sent Mary and Eileen off to eat because I wasn't leaving those seats unattended - coats or no coats. It was a good call. If I said, "these seats are taken and the people are here just getting something to eat" once I said it 30 times. It was getting scary. If I didn't have 2 PhD candidates sitting in front of me as witnesses my friends would never have believed me. Knitters can be very scary, especially when they have worked all day in the City or traveled from the outer boroughs and want a seat!

Well, it was worth the stress, Stephanie was brilliant. She is so down to earth and hilariously funny. Some of my group were unfamiliar with her and had no idea what to expect. We were crying laughing. Stephanie was so on-the-money with her observations about knitters especially when she said that if it weren't for knitting we wouldn't be caught dead with half the people in the room. We are a varied bunch, and it was a great time. It was so cool to see so many men in attendance. It was a real shame that I left my sock in the car, but we took a picture with her anyway. Attention Borders people: give your employees lessons on taking digital pictures at book-signings!


5 comments:

Loes said...

'Fictrix' - Now there's a word I never learned in Latin class! My teacher probably didn't know it, with him not being the fashionable type... Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention ;-)

Wow, your projects look awesome! I'm just a beginning knitter, but who knows, if I really try my best...

Loes
www.secretwishjar.com

Anonymous said...

She sounds great. I'm going to her talk at the I Knit day in London in September - I'm excited already!

Jany said...

How fun was that?! You all look as though you had the best time ever.....wish we were with you......

Becky said...

It looks like you had a great time! She's not scheduled to be anywhere near Texas. At least, not yet...

Marie said...

She was great! I hope you all get to see her soon, it is worth the effort.
Marie